Friday, May 17, 2013

Do you like yourself? Does God?

Do you like yourself?

I will be writing this more complete as I think and pray it through some more. Just wanted to share where I am right now. Hope it speaks to you if you too struggle to like yourself.

My friend and prayer warrior Weak Dave wrote a great post on fb today. It is something the Spirit has been slowly teaching me. Things I have wondered and pushed way back in my mind. Do I love myself? Why is it so hard to do things for myself? Co dependency, fear of man, people pleasing, perfectionism, striving, self reliance, my breakdown. Is the root of it all not loving myself as my Father loves me. I wrote this post in a forum but things are still coming to my mind. THis is major for me. Maybe the root of lots of stuff. I do not know the love of God for me so therefore I do not love myself. This maybe extreme but at some level I think this is true.

I feel totally confused and blind in this area and I need some help. I know God is teaching me something I have struggled with all my life. I have this thought in the back of my mind that to do things for myself is selfish. Therefore I have neglected myself and I had a breakdown. I saw then to take care of myself was to take care of my family.
We are told in Lev 19:18, Lev 19:34, Matt 19:19, Matt 22:39, Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27, Ro 13:9, Ro 14:15, Gal 5:14 and James 2:8 to love others as we love ourselves. THat this is the summation of the whole law in a single commandment. So I ask myself how do I love others if I do not love and respect myself?
So here is my question…can you explain how to love yourself? What is self centeredness, selfishness and pride in comparison to this loving myself? I feel like to lose yourself you find who you truly are, Christ in you.
I always knew the Father loved me but because when He looked at me He saw Jesus. I wanted to know he really liked me and who I am, right now. My personality, the things that make me who I am, unique and individual.
I think the more I have seen the unconditional love for me that God has for me the more I am accepting of me warts and all. THe more I trust Him with the future , the more I don't beat myself up about my past. The more I see He forgave me the more I love and forgive. THe more I understand His compassion and care and faithfulness for me the more I feel safe and secure.
I don't know where I am going with this. That is all. Hope I made some sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7