Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bonded Hearts

It had been 30 years. She called. She would see me tomorrow. I was a little anxious. We had been friends but not particularly close. What could God be doing to bring us together after all this time? She was always so together, beautiful with a precious child. I didn't look the same. My beauty of outward appearance had changed, 17 years of a mental disorder has worn on my body. Beauty had always been so important to me. It was something I could do, be beautiful. I realize this and pray often for an inner beauty that is Christ in me. I got a couple of friends to pray for our time together and my heart.

She knocked on the door. She was as beautiful as ever. She had aged gracefully and not a pound heavier. For a moment my flesh compared the tremendous change in me and hardly any in her.

We went into the family room. She didn't notice the flowers I had picked nor was hungry for the fruit and cookies I had frantically made. Was I still trying to impress people or was I wanting her to feel Christ in my home and welcome? I am not really sure. She had just eaten and was ready to visit. She made me feel relaxed and comfortable as she gazed right into my eyes. It was as if she could see into my very heart.

We began to share our stories back and forth as a rhythm. The path we both had been on had been an equally hard one. We noted how we had both thought the other one had things all together. How no one truly has life together all their life, it is just an illusion. As we continued in this dance I could see Gods faithfulness to her through her difficult times, the blessing of a wonderful daughter, who I have also become acquainted with recently and have come to love, a precious grandchild and one on the way, a loyal husband and the blessings of her son-in-law. God had brought beauty out of ashes in her life and in mine.

I told her as glamorous as my life had been I would not go back. I appreciated the opportunities and the people in my past life but I was not the same. That I had come to know the relentless, radical, passionate love of God as I had never known it before.

She got ready to leave and I was sorry to see her go. Our hearts had bonded and had been revealed. I know her better now in the time we spent together than the five years I had known her in times past. Our time together had been rich and full. I hope to see her again and to stay in touch somehow even though we didn't make any plans. It may even be through her daughter, who knows. My faith had grown and strengthened being with her that day. God is full of blessings and surprises. What joy she left in my heart to just be with her and Jesus in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7