Monday, October 1, 2012

The Power of Words

As a little child I remember saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones."  "But words will never hurt me".  I would say this to someone on the play ground that would make fun of me.  And then I would run.

We have words inside and outside our head.  Is there someone in your life, maybe at work, at home, even your past. that is recounting your faults.  Telling you what a failure you are?  How you don't listen and you will never learn?  How you can't do anything right?  These words are painful.  They stick in our memory.  They affect what we believe about ourselves.

What do the voices in your head tell you?  Both are full of pride.  I don't need anyone.  I made it this far...I can do it own my own.  Or, I did it again.  I will never be free from this sin or failure.  There is no hope?  God is not listening.  I am all alone.  Does anyone really care.  These words and thoughts are straight from the pit of hell.  Satan knows he can't take you from God but he can make you powerless and ineffective in the kingdom.  He wants you to be independent of God.  He wants to make your life miserable.

Jesus is the word of God.  His words about who we are more powerful than any other words.  We need to fill our hearts and minds with the truth of who God says we are.  We are righteous. forgiven, loved with an everlasting love of God.  We are His workmanship.  Treasures of His grace.  We reveal His glory.  We are saints.  We have the very heart of Jesus and the Father living in us.  We need people of grace, telling us the truth.  We need to ask the Spirit to make these words real to our hearts.

Jesus was reject by man and by God. Jesus suffered so much in thinking about the separation from God, He sweat blood.   'He thinks He is the King of the Jews', they said.  They spat upon Him and beat Him.  They made Him a crown of thorns.  He never opened His mouth.  He kept His eyes on the Father and the plan He had made.  On the Fathers love for Him, even though He couldn't feel it.  We maybe rejected by man but we will never be rejected by the Father or suffer what Jesus suffered, because of Jesus' blood.

 Keep a short account with Jesus.  Keep your heart before Him.  Don't let your hurt turn to anger and bitterness. If it does repent before God.   Forgive as you are forgiven.  'This love of the Father is what has carried you in the past.  Will carry you in the present.  And will carry you home.'  (paraphrased from my pastor).

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7