Thursday, March 15, 2012

We Have the Power



"[I pray] that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength."  (Ephesians 1:18-19)

Roxy, our dog, broke through back screen door to get on the porch. The next time I decided to leave the door open for her.  A small bird came in.  Then began to struggle to get out. The bird flew into the screen over and over.  One place to another.  All the bird had to do was to quit fighting and striving. Then it could see to fly through the open door to freedom.  I watched, thinking all the time how I used to be like that bird.  Just a short time ago.

For years I had lived not facing the truth that my life was not perfect. As I came out of denial I could not face life. So I felt trapped in another way: deep dark depression.  Always a roller coaster of struggle and addiction. Not knowing the love of the Father for me.

Christ died to bring me into a trusting relationship, taking away the veil from the truth that had left me living in fear, condemnation, shame, and guilt. My sins forgiven. Past, present, and future. God is not angry with me.  Christ is my Comforter and Best Friend.

Christ came to give me His and the Father's Holy Spirit. Christ lives in me. The same power that raised Christ from the dead is in me. I don't have to live a defeated and powerless life. The Spirit has enlightened the eyes of my heart to see this wonderful truth. The power of God lives in me!  And in you who are children of God. If you are not a person trusting Christ but desire to know Him, you can write me, or contact someone you know who can walk you through this.  The Spirit is working in you.

Paul says there is a confidence of life and greatness of spirit that comes from understanding God's power.  I am overwhelmed by a loving, relentless God and His incomparably great power. This power also gives insight into the beauty, the excellence, and glory of holiness. This power illuminates not only your heart to truth, but to desire as God desires. Not that you don't still struggle with sin in your life, but it no longer dominates. And you know you are forgiven. You confess your sin and pray for repentance. This gospel is part of who you are and the power in you. Depending on God in moment by moment leaning into Him.  Reliance on Him brings a life of power of God, by faith.

Lord I pray eyes will be opened to see what incredible power is operating in us. Thank You for giving us life and life abundant.

 
Suggested reading:  

John Owen - "The Holy Spirit: His Gifts and Powers"
"How People Change" - Timothy S. Lane & Paul David Tripp
"Crazy Love" - Francis Chan,
"Three free sins" - Steve Brown
Tim Keller sermon: "Incomparable Power"
"Discover a New You" - Dr. Jamie T Pleasant, Ph.D

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7