Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Way To Life


                                The Way Of The Cross
            

It was in the middle of the night.  The lights were out in our small hotel room.  I remember sitting in the floor of the tiny bathroom, door closed, light on, reading in my bible the book of Job with tears streaming down my cheeks.

We were in Charleston.  We had taken my dad to the hospital for treatment and evaluation.  He was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.  The only treatment, until this time, was shock treatments.  The treatments, as hard as they were for us all, seemed to work for awhile, but was no long term help in our situation.  This hospital was telling of treatment for mental health with medications.  They were saying it was the chemicals in the brain that needed help. That the brain was sick like someone who was a diabetic.  These medications would help with what the brain needed to function.  It was hope for us in a hopeless situation.  I remember asking the doctor, "what are the chances me and my sister will get this"?  He said they are slim.  What you inherit is the tendency to deal with life the same way.  I did.

Even then, 40 years ago, I knew God was our answer.  That He would lead the way.  That He had a purpose in all this suffering.  I wanted to know what that purpose was.   I was trying to have wisdom and strength for my mom, I had none.  I knew somehow we both would make it. I did not know how.  I knew nothing about trusting my Father with my circumstances.  I had no idea that my peace and joy was in relationship with Him.  I just couldn’t get my life right, what I thought would make me happy.

Yesterday I began to think, what has God taught me in suffering?  What does He want to teach me?  The meditation I have enclosed are some of those things.  I think we will forever be taught of the things of God. Our relationship with Him will deepen throughout eternity.  It will never be exhausted. 

 But one day in Heaven, there will be no more suffering, pain,or tears. We will learn from the Saints of God, from the existences of Heaven.  We will learn from being face to face with God Almighty.  But for now, we can know a taste of this Kingdom life here, with Jesus, through dying to our bent.  We can have life through allowing Christ’s life press into ours.   

Jesus died instead of us.  Now He is raised for us.  To live is to die with Him.


John 12:24


24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7