Saturday, July 27, 2013

Idols of the Heart

When I was a young girl I use to like to play with magnets.  I had one long one and then some short ones.  It was fun to watch them repel and attract to each other.  This is how I think of the idols of our heart.  We can repent of one and another will be drawn to the magnet.

You might ask what is an idol.  It is a false gospel.  It is something our heart is drawn to find significance in.  It promises to give us things the gospel is meant to give us.  Worth, value, pleasure, contentment, peace, happiness, joy.  The list could go on and on.  The thing about these idols they don't truly satisfy.  They make us feel good for a moment but then the craving is for more and more.  Never being enough and really ministering to the needs and desires of our heart.

We are really helpless to rid ourselves of idols.  We can pray for God to give us the gift of repentance but all we can do is seek His face and see our desperate need of Him to set us free.

I repented of some idols this past Sun I wrote about.  I was so excited and thankful.  I did good for a few days and then day before yesterday I noticed some of my old ways of dealing with life were surfacing.  I tried harder to become more active, spend time with wonderful friends, ask for prayer.  Actually I think that is why I have the grace to see this other idol in my life.  I think it was already there.  I had wondered about it from time to time but just ignored its pull to my heart for significance and pleasure.

Would you please pray for me.  I am really discouraged.  I thought I was being set free from some life time struggles and I see this in its place.  I was suppose to go off with my family and I couldn't pull myself away to go.  I am spending today seeking Gods heart and what on earth I am going to do.  I really am desperate for my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7