Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lets Celebrate


Matt:18:3   “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Our grandchildren just came and stayed a few weeks with us.  All I could do prior to that time was plan things we could do and things I could teach them.  After they left I was reviewing the things we did while they were here, our memories.  I was trying to remember the teaching moments we had.  I must admit there weren't many times of me teaching them but lots of times of them teaching me.  You might ask, "what did they teach you while they were here?"  They taught me to be a little child again.  They did this last year while they were here for a visit.  I need lots of reminding.  Lots of humbling.

As the time has passed from one year to the next life has slowly sucked the joy right out of me.  So slow I didn't even realize it had happened.  I had picked up my burdens.

 I remember when my husband was a head football coach and we would fly to away games.  He would be so tense, studying on the way there.  Then if we lost he would be upset on the way back home.  But then I began to notice that win or lose he would be all worried about the next game.  We were not  even celebrating the win.   There was no difference on our flight back home whether we won or lost.  I remember thinking something is bad wrong here.  We are not even happy when we win.  This is a little how my life has gone lately. I have forgotten how to laugh.  I have let the worries and suffering so consume my life I have stopped celebrating the good life which Jesus has given me.  It is like I am holding my breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My suffering has grabbed my attention, along with my pride.  So much so that it is all I am focusing on.  Not the abundant life, the free life, the joyful life that Jesus gave His life for me to live.  

There is nothing that can happened to me or my loved ones that can rob me of a happy, content, loving intimate relationship with my God. It is only pride thinking I know best and trying to be god to everyone around me.  Yes of course we feel the pain and suffering of life but our rest, joy and happiness is not because of our circumstances of life but in the life Himself.  Our peace and love is contained in the person of Christ living His life through us.

My grandchildren were so dependent on us.  The would say can I do this mem, pop?  They laughed out loud and they danced and they would sing.  They didn't care who was watching them, they were just enjoying the moment.  They played in mud puddles, dove in the waves at the ocean, they were silly and funny, they jumped and skipped. We let them sleep in the room with us, making pallets on the floor.  We didn't have to worry if they got enough sleep.  They fell asleep as soon as their precious eyes were close. They were enjoying life and what God had given them.  They were not worried about tomorrow or felt burdened by yesterday.  They wanted to live and let live.  They ate ice-cream and cookies and were so active they didn't have to be concerned with their weight.  They rode horses and jumped on the trampoline.  They weren't concerned about what others said about them, they were contagious.  It was catching.  Life was fun and funny.  It kept slipping through our hands to others so we had to keep filling our hands full.

Since then I have reflected on our times together and ask the Lord to help me know what it is to have a child like faith and joy again.  To know that everything that happens is sifted through fingers of love.  I can relax, live and love people again.  I won't break if I crack a smile or give a hug or even catch fireflies in the dark.  I can risk it all and be happy in the life of the one who is life.  I can quit trying to control my life and my families to be happy.  I can just let it happen.  We had serious times, like when we prayed but even then we had a smile on our face and love in our hearts.

I miss their joy and their laughter.  I can only imagine how the Father has missed me.  I want to enjoy and delight in Him with no fears of what tomorrow may bring.  If God is indeed in control and has a perfect plan for me and my loved ones, why should I worry.  The game is over and we won!  Lets celebrate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7