Thursday, October 3, 2013

Is Anything Worth That? -- Guest Post

A friend who lived close by in my early Jesus years would say such insightful things, it seemed sort of uncanny at the time. Her childhood had been tough. A dad who was legalistic and abusive. Finding Jesus’ love had been quite a journey through rebellion and its consequences. But it was these experiences which I think prepared her heart to lavish Jesus’ love and truth on others. I remember her setting out a meal like a banquet, using the best china and silver and crystal. Her guests? Women from the low-income housing unit. She treated them like royalty and taught them the Bible in the most everyday way, lining up toys or household objects for her props.

I also remember my friend calling to say that she must give a certain possession away, because she realized she had taken ownership. Whenever she felt that, it was her signal to let something go. I didn’t understand then that she was being jealous for her love for Jesus.

I don’t know about you, but when I feel convicted to give over someone or something that’s become a part of me--something I think I have a right to have--it’s like tearing out a piece of my heart. If it has to be done, I just want God to deliver--painlessly. You know, Fix-it--N.O.W.

But Jesus cast aside His royal rights to blood purchase me something far better than a fix-it life: a Faith-it life. Faith won’t allow me to justify any Jesus substitutes. Faith will disagree that I can handle it myself. Faith makes me humbly ask God to change my heart.

Then somehow by God’s grace, at just the right moment when it can only be of His doing, God moves that thing out, and graciously, tenderly moves Himself in to that vacated space. There, He sets up a royal banquet table where we have the sweetest, most satisfying fellowship. And I find myself wondering why I thought something else felt worth keeping between us.


“...Lay aside every hindrance and the sin which so easily entangles us....”   (Hebrews 12:1) 


 ~ martha langley

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7