Friday, June 27, 2014

Story Line


What You Miss When You’re Afraid Of Messing Up

Pete Wilson

Recently, I was watching my youngest son, Brewer, fly his kite. He hasalways had a thing for kites.
It reminded me of a time over a year ago when he had received a kite as a gift. It hung there in our laundry room for months, and almost daily he would beg me to fly it in the backyard. Every time he asked I would remind him that our backyard was full of trees and it would inevitably get stuck in a tree.

Well, he eventually wore me down.

And in a weak moment, I think on the 138th ask, I finally gave in.
I was getting ready to go out of town and I thought to myself, “if the kid wants to fly the kite in the backyard, we’ll fly it in the backyard.”
*Photo Credit: keith.bellvay, Creative Commons
*Photo Credit: keith.bellvay, Creative Commons
As you might imagine, about 10 minutes into our little kite adventure, just as I had predicted, the kite got caught in the tree. I thought for sure he was going to be crushed, but instead he just laughed.
As we headed inside, he grabbed my hand and gave me one of those smiles letting me know he had a blast.

It was a great lesson for me that I still haven’t forgotten.

It’s better to fly a kite and it get stuck in a tree, than to not fly the kite at all. 
A friend of mine once said: Every opportunity has an expiration date and the cost of missing out can be greater than the cost of messing up.
You do realize there are some things worse than failure, right? So what’s your kite?
Time to face your fears and fly it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He placed HIs love on me. It is that love that is seeing me through...

Dear friends I have prayed for you many times that you may not lose heart. Phil 4:13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through a...

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7